Tuesday, April 30, 2013

WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY - Recipe for "Creamy Dreamy Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles"!

Hi there friends!!!!

How's your week going???   Mine is good...it's having its ups and downs.

The ups?   This morning I got up to wake up the kids, only to find my son already awake, lying on the floor reading his Bible!   We didn't even tell him he had to...he just decided to do it on his own!  That was awesome!  He said he enjoyed reading this morning about the story of Jonah!

The downs?  I found out this week that I have rosacea!  UGH!  I had a feeling it was something like that, but to now have it confirmed...not my favorite thing to hear!  It means I'm gonna need to make some changes to keep it at bay...I've already had a few flare ups, and I guess it can get worse with age.  Not happy about that!  =(

More ups?  Tonight, I made a really yummy, and very easy dish, that I'm gonna share with you on this week's...

WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY!!!!

I was taking the kids to a playdate today so I knew we wouldn't get home until dinner time.  I had to make something fast and easy and this recipe from Pinterest (I'm actually not sure who to credit it to, the pin goes to some weird site that doesn't actually post the recipe but all the instructions were on the pin itself) looked interesting and worth trying.

Since it didn't have a name on Pinterest, I thought I'd name it..."CREAMY DREAMY CHICKEN AND NOODLES". 

I'd also like to call it...a perfect weeknight dinner for busy families!!!  =)

Sooo easy!   I only got 1 picture, due to time constraints, but believe me when I say...I rarely can find a dish that BOTH of my children like....so when I find it, I feel the need to SHARE!  lol  My hubby and I also really liked this as well.

Here's how you make it!

Ingredients:
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 7-8 boneless skinless tenderloins, which is what I used.)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cheddar cheese soup
1 stick of butter, sliced
4 cups of chicken broth (I used water with 4 bullion cubes dissolved in them, which gave the dish a saltier flavor than broth would)
1 bag of egg noodles (or a box of your favorite pasta)
Seasoning (I used 3 tbsp dried minced onion, 2 tsp garlic powder, and 2 tsp onion powder, and then threw about 1 tsp parsley at the end)
1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese (optional)

Throw everything in the crock pot except the egg noodles.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.  Then dump the noodles in and cook for another hour on low or another 1/2 hour on high.  

I cooked everything on high. 

Here's what it looked like when it was all made and in the crock pot!

This was enough to feed a fairly hungry family of four and still have leftovers for another night for all of us!   I love that because I've started freezing meals for easy prep another night!  

The sauce may be a little runny at the end, but it does thicken with a little time.  If you'd like to thicken it a bit more, I added some grated parmesean to it and stirred it in. It did thicken even more as we ate it.

******************************
UPDATE - I froze this and reheated this for lunch the following day to see how it tasted...and it was great!   Love this recipe even more now!!!  =)
****************************

This is a very versatile recipe too....you could add peas or corn or broccoli or tomatoes OR mushrooms...you get the idea...haha...and I bet it would be very yummy too!

Thanks so much for joining me for another

WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY!!! 

Have a great day!

This post is being added to...
Wonderful Food Wednesday
Fluster's Creative Muster
Festive Friday Fiesta






41 comments:

  1. I love one pot meals and even more when they are crockpot meals! This one looks really good!
    Sorry about the rosacea and hope you can keep it under control!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking in my crock pot. Thank you for sharing on Fluster’s Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you dump the noodles in uncooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Soooo easy! The extra water in the mixture cooks the noodles and they come out great and flavorful! I LOVE this recipe! lol Hope you enjoy! =)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I am making this tomorrow sounds really good

      Delete
  4. do you think there is any way that you can put the noodles in the beginning?? I work 12 hr days and didn't want to put noodles in and let cook another hour once i get home. Just wondering! Thanks for the wonerful recipes!! makes working long days easier to have dinner made when I get home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'm actually not sure. I've never tried it that way before. If you turn the crock pot up to high, the noodles will only need to cook another 1/2 hour....but if you do try to put them in at the beginning, please let me know how it turns out! This also reheats great, so if you are able to do it on a Sunday, you'll have a bunch of servings all ready to heat and eat when you get home throughout the week! Hope that helps! =)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did have a question. I was wondering if you cut up the chicken first or put in the whole breast and then shredded it when done. Yours almost looks shredded. I put mine in cut up, but wouldn't mind saving the time if you didn't. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! I actually put the whole frozen chicken tenderloins in there and they shredded on their own. I'm like you, I hate to have to do more work than I have to! Hope that helps and hope you enjoy it! =)

      Delete
  7. I made this tonight! I just put my chicken breasts in whole and they shred real easy. I wonder though if it was supposed to be big cans of soup? I feel there isn't a lot of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! One thing that helped me with the flavor was using bullion cubes and water instead of the chicken broth....it seems to have more salt that added to the flavor. The smaller condensed cans of soup are what I used...and I didn't add the water/milk that the soup cans call for....which might take away from the flavor. We usually do add salt and pepper to this at the table at dinner.

      I think this would probably taste great with some added onion powder and/or garlic powder as well....which I have used from time to time to flavor this dish. You could also add taco seasoning, chili powder, curry powder, or other various flavors to this if you would like to add extra flavor. I might try a few of those myself sometime (not all at once though...haha!) Hope that helps if you do decide to try it again! =)

      Delete
    2. Could you half this recipe and were the egg noodles a 8oz or 12 oz bag? thanks

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure how to half it, unless you just use half of the cans of soup, but what I might suggest would be to make the full recipe and then put half in a freezer bag to store for a second meal! My egg noodles were the 12 oz bag, I believe. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. Hi :) can I use some shredded cheese instead of the can of cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. There actually is not a "can of cheese", but more the cheddar cheese condensed soup. I'm not sure how it would change the texture or quality of the meal to just add shredded cheese instead of the condensed soup, but if you do try it, I'd love to hear how it worked for you. Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  9. How many oz of noodles did your bag have in it? also are they the frozen noodles or the dry noodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KJ! Mine were the dry noodles you can find in the pasta section in the plastic bags. I believe mine was the 12 oz bag. Hope that helps! =D

      Delete
  10. How do you think this would taste minus the butter? I just feel bad putting a whole stick of butter in there when I'm trying to be good and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blythe! I'm not sure! I've never tried it without the butter, but if you're able to substitute something else for it, it may work, like perhaps 1/2 cup of brummel and brown, or some other healthy butter alternative. I'm not sure how it would affect the taste/texture, but if you try it, I'd love to hear how it came out! I certainly understand wanting to keep it good and healthy! The lower fat versions of the cream soups might also help cut those calories a bit. =)

      Delete
  11. Making this and im using some Italian seasoned chicken breasts to add a different flavor and skipping out on the extra seasonings

    ReplyDelete