Tuesday, February 19, 2013

WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY #6 - Crock Pot ORANGE CHICKEN!

Happy Wednesday, All!

Is it just me, or do the days just seem to go faster and faster lately?!?  I can't believe we're already at the middle of the week!   I can't believe we're almost at the end of February!!! 

On today's WHADDA WE EATIN' WEDNESDAY, I will be sharing an easy, YUMMY recipe for....

CROCK POT ORANGE CHICKEN!

I made this for our family for our last Sunday Family Dinner since our colors were ORANGE and Turquoise Blue...it just made sense to me....haha  (to see that tablescape, click HERE)!

This is a super simple recipe and very easy to make!

I modified this recipe from the original recipe, found here.

Here's what you will need:



• 1/2 package of breaded chicken nuggets (because I'm all about easy...the original recipe called for 6-8 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks and breaded in flour and cooked in olive oil.  I decided to "skip that step with all that prep" and just use already breaded chicken nuggets)
• 1 T salt
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar  (I actually used raspberry blush vinegar...yummy!)
• 6 T ketchup
• 1 12 oz. can of frozen orange juice concentrate (thaw or throw it in the microwave for 45 seconds)
• 8 T brown sugar
AND, my special added ingredient!  2 tsp ALLSPICE

 Mix everything but the chicken together in a bowl...

Then add the "PIECE DE RESISTANCE"....the Allspice!  This added such a great flavor to this dish! 
 
 

 
Place the chicken nuggets into the crock pot and pour the mixture over them.  Then cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.  If you are putting this in before going to work for the day, I'd just keep it on warm, and it should be great when you get home!  =D 
 
When they were almost finished cooking, I cut the nuggets in half and mixed them around in the mixture.  I also added a little water close to the end to give it more sauce.  I started with about 1/2 cup and then as you like, you can thin it out even more.  Or if you prefer a thicker sauce, but less of it, you can leave it as is. 
 
Here is the finished product.
We served this over white rice and it was delicious!
 

 
 My husband, my son and I liked it a lot.  My daughter was not as thrilled with it, mostly because there was breading on the chicken nuggets, which she's not fond of.  If it would have been just plain skinless boneless chicken, she may have liked it a lot better....but then my son probably wouldn't have liked it as well..haha! 
 
But they are trying new things, and that's good
 
I had a "cheat day" from the low carbing, since this is not really a low-carb dish, so it gave me license to eat it...and it was delicious!   My husband gobbled up the leftovers fairly quickly the next day and said they were still yummy, even as leftovers!
 
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and let me know what you think if you try it.  Have a great week!
 
 
 
This post is being added to... 
 
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I'm crazy for crock pot recipes right now. I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melanie! Me too! I can't get enough of my crock pot! Hope you enjoy! I thought it was so yummy and super easy!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious. I'll give it a try. Thanks! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherry Kay! I love Orange Chicken and it really was sooo easy to make! Hope you enjoy it when you make it! Thanks for stopping by! =D

      Delete
  3. Always us for a new crock pot recipe.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Tablescaper...the crock pot is just the best invention...ever! haha! Thanks for your visit! =D

      Delete
  4. Oh wow your orange chicken sounds delicious!!! And I love that it's a crockpot meal! I'm always looking for crockpot recipes!!! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria! Thanks so much! I am a big Orange Chicken Fan, so I really loved that I could make it this easily! It really took hardly any time at all to prep this! Hope you have a great weekend, and thanks so much for coming by and commenting! Hope you enjoy it if you do make this! =D

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! Typo! I love Aldi! Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Party!

      Delete